Page 3 - Miss Kimberley & Restoration Progress

Hut Date: March/April 2009

 
The stove for Miss Kimberley before restoration - a Caladonian Dumpy No. 2.  I had to dismantle and repair broken castings as the corners were swollen with rust.  As the castings were very thin they had started to break.  Some of the castings have "improved" stamped on them, so with my improvements as well we definitely have the best!
 
Making the copper flue pipe roof sleeve for the stove top.  This will keep out the rain which would otherwise run in off the roof ... 
 
Copper disc for the flue pipe ... 
 
Copper disc spun to fit the flue pipe from the stove and the roof flue pipe.  It's a good fit and will be warmed and shrunk to fit the flue pipe when it's finally in the correct position on the hut roof ... 
 
Fitting the floor.  The old boards are going back in their original order and position ... 
 
To make better use for storage when Miss Kimblerley is back in action, I've replaced the old slats that were not original in the closed end of the lamb rack with a new gate.  I copied the gate in the other end so they're a matched pair ... 

I managed to save the old window frame which I think is a later fitting.  But at least it's old!  One pane had survived intact but the other three are new.  Even I am unable to mend broken glass and had to make a concession to bring in the new on that one!

Re-cladding begins!  The side boards are trialed for position before nailing to ensure the correct spacing.  The boards are dried out and need a gap to allow for expansion once they get damp.

Miss Kimberley's world famous 12 bore gun hole now back in position.  A gamekeeper friend of mine will be testing this out when we go out on maneouvres to see if it works ...bunnies beware!  The lower part is for the double barralled shotgun to slot into and the top part is to view the target ...

The inside view ...or the view that the rabbit doesn't see ...

Meanwhile, more trial fitting of both old and new boards.  These were all numbered so they could be replaced in the original position.  Alas some were too rotten to refit and even my patience started to wear thin.  It would have been alot cheaper to have replaced the whole lot but Miss Kimberley would have lost her character as an old hut.  I have really struggled at times to repair her original boards but as these are "The Hut" and the essence of Miss Kimberley, to have replaced them all would have defeated the object of this as a restoration project ...

The photograph that follows shows what I have been faced with on many of the board ends.  Even with a 3" cut-off to fit the raised chassis rail they can still defeat me!  Some I can save with my magic formula of resinite waterproof glue mixed with sawdust, then a wirebrush back to sound wood, prime with a mister spray of water, apply a neat layer of glue, follow through with the dryer and a filler mix of glue and sawdust (a mix of saw cuttings in different sizes works best) ...job done.  If any worms eat that lot I shall in turn eat my hat!

Kimberley's stove area with new boards.  This boarded area was lost to fire at some time, plus the chassis rail beneath the floorboards was missing 18".  It's a miracle that Miss Kimblerley survived this fire and there was anything left for me to restore!

Marking out Miss Kimblerley's new window - screwed and glued on support ledges to the boards before the last cut to form the window shutter ...

The "new" old hinges I made, ready on the cladding to support the shutter before the final cut.  The hinges were made from some old wrought iron I picked up in the field near to the barn where I am restoring Miss Kimberley.  You just never know what will come in handy and these look so much more in keeping than new steel ...

Let there be light!

Miss Kimberley's new window aperture from the other side.  I like it and am very pleased with the result.  If holes can be nice, then this is a nice one ...!

 

Fitting the barge boards ...

The copper flue and rain sleeve ...

Fitting the roof ...

Feathery interlude ...

These ducklings grew up during the Miss Kimberley roof fitting and waddled in several times a day for a progress report and food from the Gamekeepers store. 

Meanwhile, Team Kimberley eagerly await her release into the wild!  Click on the following photo of Jumble and Digger to be transported to her foray into the great outdoors ...